NCERT Solutions for Class 9th: The Snake Trying (Poem) Beehive English
By W.W.E. Ross
Page No: 125
Thinking about the Poem
1. What is the snake trying to escape from?
2. Is it a harmful snake? What is its colour?
3. The poet finds the snake beautiful. Find the words he uses to convey its beauty.
4. What does the poet wish for the snake?
5. Where was the snake before anyone saw it and chased it away? Where does the snake disappear?
1. The snake is trying to escape from the stick.
2. No, it is not a harmful snake. Its small size renders it harmless even to the children. The snake is green in colour.
3. The words the poet uses to convey the snake’s beauty are “beautiful” and “graceful”.
4. The poet wishes that the snake be left unharmed. He wants it to go over the water into the reeds to hide.
5. The snake was lying on the sand till someone saw it and again chased it away. The snake
disappeared in the ripples of the water among the green reeds.
1. Find out as much as you can about different kinds of snakes (from books in the library, or from the Internet). Are they all poisonous? Find out the names of some poisonous snakes.
1. No, all snakes are not poisonous. Some of the poisonous snakes are Indian Cobra, Common Krait, Russell’s Viper and Saw-scaled Viper.