NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Civics: Chapter 7 Understanding Marginalisation
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Civics: Chapter 7 Understanding Marginalisation Social and Political Life III
Page No: 92
1. Write in your own words two or more sentences of what you understand by the word ‘marginalisation’.
The word ‘marginalisation’ simply means exclusion from the mainstream. Marginalisation of any community or a person can be because of many reasons like –
→ Speaking a different language,
→Following different customs,
→ Belonging to different religious group from the majority community etc.
Marginalisation is linked to experiencing disadvantage, prejudice, poverty and powerlessness. It is a complex phenomenon which results into a low social status, not having equal access to education and other resources.
2. List two reasons why Adivasis are becoming increasingly marginalized.
The two reasons why Adivasis are becoming increasingly marginalised are:
→ The people often wrongly believe that Adivasis are exotic, primitive and backward.
→ That often Adivasis are blamed for their lack of advancement as they are believed to be resistant to change or new ideas.
3. Write one reason why you think the constitution’s safeguards to protect minority communities are very important?
The Constitution’s safeguards to protect minority communities are very important because they ensure that India’s cultural diversity is protected from becoming largely unitary and they also help to promote equality and justice to all.
4. Re-read the section on Minorities and marginalization. What do you understand by the term minority?
Minority is the term which means the communities which are small in number in comparison to the communities which are more in number. For example, Muslims are in minority in comparison to Hindus.
5. You are participating in a debate where you have to provide reasons to support the following statement: ‘Muslims are a marginalized community’. Using the data provided in this chapter, list two reasons that you would give.
Two reasons in support of the statement “Muslims are a marginalized community”:
→ The Muslim community has not been able to gain from the country’s socio-economic development as statistics on basic amenities, literacy rate and public employment show. 63.6% Muslims live in kutcha houses as compared to only 55.2% Hindus also the literacy rate amongst Muslims was the lowest at 59% in a 2001 survey.
→ Their customs are distinct from other religious communities, so much so that they are identified as separate from the “rest of us” leading to unfair treatment and discrimination against Muslims.
6. Imagine that you are watching the Republic Day parade on TV with a friend and she remarks, “Look at these tribals. They look so exotic. And they seem to be dancing all the time”. List three things that you would tell her about the lives of Adivasis in India.
The three things I would tell a friend about the Adivasis in India would be:
→ Lives of Adivasis are actually very rich but people seem to know very little about the realties of their lives.
→ They are usually shown in sympathetically in colourful costumes, headgear and dancing.
→Often people wrongly believe that Adivasis are exotic, primitive, backward and immune to development.
8. Would you agree with the statement that economic marginalisation and social marginalisation are interlinked? Why?
Yes, economic and social marginalisations are interlinked. This can be described by the following:
→The minorities are rendered marginalised economically because they are not allowed access to the benefits of economic development.
→ When there is no economic development the minorities do not develop socially. Their society does no experience the fruits of social development. They remain backward.
Thank for the question answer
Because my man has given me homework
Because of this I am able to complete my
It is good for question answer
Beacause it help me to complete note copy that my ma,am(mam)give me to complete note otherwise my ma’am beat me
I thanks it
Thx for question and answer this time i top in SST
Can you tell me the difference between the marginalisation and minority.